Sunday, July 12, 2009

Sunday at the Beach

Today I took the longest walk since my surgery almost three weeks ago. I am at my home in Florida spending what I expect is my last week of recuperation. I am spending the week on the beach at Seagrove Beach.

I walked all the way to the next warning flag. These flags are place on the beach about a half mile apart to warn swimmers of the water conditions. It uses a simple red, yellow, green system. Today's flags were yellow and my walk was about a mile round trip.

In the winter when I come here, I can make this same walk and see no more than a handful of people. Mostly, they are locals walking or fishing. But today is Sunday, July 12 - the height of vacation season - and the beach is packed. There is not a ten yard stretch that doesn't have people on it. I used to be annoyed by this invasion of people driving cars with tags from Alabama, Tennessee and Georgia, but I have come to accept it. Sometimes, like today, I actually enjoy it.

The beach sounds were like music. The waves keeping the beat with children laughing and squealing with delight. And everywhere the beautiful Southern drawl. Smiling families were taking pictures that will no doubt be on this year's Christmas card. Many appeared to be baby's first trip to the beach pictures as well. Oh my goodness, bikinis are still itsy-bitsy.

On the walk back, I counted nearly 50 children (and a couple of adults) building sand castles. Two kids were being buried alive. (With five brothers and sisters, I remember this activity well. We also made hundreds of "frog houses" constructed by covering your feet in a mound of sand and then pulling your feet out without it collapsing. It was more like an igloo and there were no frogs around, but it entertained us for many lazy hours.) The sand castles today ranged from the primitive to the sophisticated. I saw the dry sand method, the damp sand method and the sand-water drizzle method. Most castles had the requisite moat. I noticed that some kids build the moat first and others wait until the castle is finished. The younger kids just dig a giant hole, sit in it and build a wall around themselves. Others seemed to be trying to dig to China. I didn't want to burst their bubble by telling them that I had tried that unsuccessfully for years.

It appeared to be the first day of vacation for many of the families on the beach today. I had a few hints that it was their first day. First hint, most vacation rentals here are Saturday to Saturday with Sunday being their first full day on the beach. Second, no sunburns! People always underestimate the intensity of the Florida sun off this white sand. Even with all the warnings to reapply sunscreen, many will pay the price tomorrow. I also noticed that all the readers were on the first few pages of their new books. And, my last hint, little brothers were still playing with and listening to their older sisters. I only heard one boy say to a slightly taller girl with the same color eyes and hair, "You aren't my boss!"

So I enjoyed my long walk today and I look forward to returning tomorrow. No matter how long I live away, this will always be home to me. Tomorrow, the sand castles will all be swept away ready to be built again. Cheeks and shoulders will be red. And the sugar white sand and the emerald green water will be here to welcome us all back.

2 comments:

  1. We are urgently in need of k1dnney D0n0rs with the sum of $450,000.00 USD,If anyone is willing to d0nate,Email: kokilabendhirubhaihospital@ gmail.com WhatsApp 91 779-583-3215

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find something in herbal medicine good to share on here with anyone suffering from the disease such as HIV, Herpes, Hepatitis or Chronic Lyme Disease,Parkinson's disease,Schizophrenia,Lung Cancer,Breast Cancer,Colo-Rectal Cancer,Blood Cancer,Prostate Cancer,siva.Fatal Familial Insomnia Factor V Leiden Mutation ,Epilepsy Dupuytren's disease,Desmoplastic small-round-cell tumor Diabetes ,Coeliac disease,Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease,Cerebral Amyloid Angiopathy, Ataxia,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Scoliosis,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroquinolone Toxicity
    Syndrome Fibrodysplasia Ossificans ProgresSclerosis,Seizures,Alzheimer's disease,Adrenocortical carcinoma.Asthma,Allergic diseases.Hiv_ Aids,Herpe ,Copd,Glaucoma., Cataracts,Macular degeneration,Cardiovascular disease,Lung disease.Enlarged prostate,Osteoporosis.Alzheimer's disease,
    Dementia.
    Lupus as well.Dr Itua herbal made cure my HIV and gave me hope that he can cure all types of diseases I believed him) I do the best of myself that I can do, I went for a program in west Africa about fashion on another side I was HIV positive. I walk through a nearby village for our program schedule then I found a signage notice that says Dr Itua Herbal Center then I asked my colleagues what all about this very man called Dr Itua, She told me that he's a herbal doctor and he can cure all kind of disease i walked to him and explain myself to him as I'm a strangler out there he prepared me herbal medicine and told me how to drink it for two weeks, when I get to my hotel room I take a look at it then says a prayer before I drank it not knowing after two weeks I went to test and I found out I was negative I ran to him to pay him more but he refuses and says I should share his works for me around the globe so sick people can see as well. I'm writing a lot about him this season so that is how I was cured by drinking Dr Itua herbal medicine, He's A caring man with godly heart. Well - everything I decided all go through for me well and how you're going to treat this new aspect to your life. You don't have to suffer alone, and it's okay to ask for help. It also doesn't have to be a constant demon, as you'll get to know your body and yourself in a much deeper way than most people. Take advantage of this, as it will help you appreciate Africa Herbal Made.
    Dr Itua Contact Information.
    Email...drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com
    Whatsapp Number....+2348149277967

    ReplyDelete